WeXchange is the platform in Latin America and the Caribbean that connects women entrepreneurs from Latin America and the Caribbean with mentors and investors.
WeXchange was founded in 2013 as an initiative of the IDB Lab, the innovation laboratory of the Inter-American Development Bank, with the aim of unleashing the growth potential of women entrepreneurs in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) in Latin America and the Caribbean.
WeXchange organizes annual forums in various Latin American countries, offering regional entrepreneurs the opportunity to:
- Access mentors and investors
- Expand their network
- Participate in trainings and inspirational talks
- Apply to the Pitch Competition, a business competition that rewards the most dynamic entrepreneur in the region.
In 2020 the eight edition of the WeXchange forum will take place in Honduras.
In 2012, IDB Lab’s Early Stage Financing team decided to promote women’s entrepreneurship as part of its new mission for creating the future of entrepreneurship.
After countless phone calls with entrepreneurs, investors, mentors and other industry experts in the region, the key problem area became clear: women entrepreneurs needed stronger network of contacts and mentoring.
WeXchange was hence born to bring women entrepreneurs of different communities together to one place and time, with two main objectives:
- Recognize and strengthen women entrepreneurs.
- Connect women entrepreneurs with mentors, investors, role models and other successful entrepreneurs.
With more than 20 years of experience in the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Latin America and the Caribbean, IDB Lab’s Early Stage Financing team could utilize its vast range of international contacts to bring WeXchange to life. In partnership with NXTPLabs and Ellas2, the team launched the first eddition of WeXchange in Miami in 2013, which has since then taken place every year.
Who is it for?
- Women entrepreneurs pioneering innovative businesses with high growth potential, focused on Latin America and/or the Caribbean and looking to accelerate the growth of their companies.
- Investors interested in the region.
- Mentors experienced in advising businesses in the region.
- Experts in the entrepreneurial world.
- Socially Responsible Businesses and Institutions interested in backing the development of innovative businesses spearheaded by women.
Why should you attend?
As an entrepreneur, you will:
- Participate in or attend the Pitch Competition. A jury will select the most dynamic or innovative entrepreneur in the region.
- Receive personalized and group mentoring to tackle key issues in your company.
- Network with key individuals in the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Attend hands-on training sessions led by experienced entrepreneurs.
As an investor, mentor, sponsor or special guest, you will:
- Discover investment-worthy projects.
- Catch up on the latest technological trends and innovative business models.
- Meet the companies that will become the region’s next success stories.
- Join the movement comprised of young talent contributing to the region’s wealth and social wellbeing.
Chief Investment Officer and Gender Initiatives Coordinator IDB Lab
Monica Pina Alzugaray
Co-founder, Mixallogy. Co-founder, WeXchange.
Silvia Torres Carbonell
Excecutive Director, Entrepreneurship Center, IAE Business School.
Founding Partner NXTP Labs
Laila Gyoung Choe
Senior Investment Officer, IDB Lab. General Secretary, WeXchange.